I just had an epiphany. Really. I just had a little late afternoon snack, experienced a moment of brilliance, and the first thing I did was blog about it. (Have I mentioned that I am really enjoying blogging? Why didn't I start sooner?) Anyways - back to my epiphany.
You know that old debate about if there are any originally American foods? We like to say "American as apple pie", but I'd bet that they had it somewhere else first. We love our hamburgers, but those came from Hamburg. Heehee. French fries may have actually been an American invention, but for some reason we gave credit for those to the French. Why did we do that? We don't even like the French. And I'm pretty sure the French don't like French fries. It's kind of like how we invented fortune cookies, but then say they are from China. There are no fortune cookies in China. I went and looked, and didn't find a single one. Again - back to the epiphany. Sorry - I get sidetracked easily.
I think I have found a true, original American food. Fried Macaroni and Cheese Balls. Yes, that's right - macaroni and cheese rolled into a ball, dipped in batter, and then fried in a vat of oil. Delicious. In case you were wondering I had some of this wonderful delicacy for my little afternoon snack and that's what inspired the epiphany. This is a real All-American food. Think about it - it started off as a food (pasta) that we ripped off from another country (Italy) and simplified and corrupted it until it was barely recognizable (Mac and Cheese). And because that wasn't enough we rolled it into little balls (no utensils necessary), added our own little twist (the batter), and fried it up to drain the last little bit of nutrition out of it. See? A true American food.
I urge you all whip up some fried Mac and Cheese balls and count your many blessings for living in this country. Or if you are like me and want to make it extra, super American - you won't even make them yourself, you'll go and buy them. Yummy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Where did you buy them? That sounds like a very fun fattening food. Yum.
I'm catching up on all your blog posts, hey at least I am reading them, but felt compelled to comment on this post - my favorite part, "Sorry - I get sidetracked." HAHAHA - love it!
Post a Comment